Memories of Firebase Illingsworth, Vietnam



We moved in to construct Illingsworth during March. The site was a verdant clearing. We showed up after the expected time in the day and began building firearm pits for our mortars, hooches for resting, and capacity for our ammunition. We had our mortars, 105’s, our radar unit, a line organization, and our contingent central command (TOC). We were informed that we were unable to nod off until we had 3 layers of blockades on our dozing hooches. It began coming down about twilight. Filling 350 Legend ammo for sale  turned out to be truly challenging. Around 11:00 pm we abandoned the barricades. I set down on a cote and put a sheet of plastic over me. I awakened at the crack of dawn the following morning and thought I had lost my hearing. Then, at that point, I understood the cote was holding water which was up over my ears.


The following day we kept on building the fire base. We had been informed that we would fire on focuses in Cambodia. Charlie had been dropping down in Cambodia and afterward getting across the line to append our units. Illingsworth was known as a leap LZ. We would show up for a couple of days and afterward move to another area. By about the second day there, six 155’s were moved in. We were getting fire missions a few times each day. The 155’s were terminating constantly. The 155’s were beating focuses consistently. We were getting such a lot of ammunition for the mortars every day that we could never fire it in one day. We were piling up boxes of mortar ammunition on the ground. At a certain point we just moved two beds of mortar ammunition off the donkey and let it lay where it landed. After we had been there a few days, two track-mounted 8 inch cannons firearms were moved to the fire base. You might have seen that I never referenced any wire or claymore mines. We didn’t have any. There was nothing among us and the wood line.


A long time before the finish of March Bobby Barker came to me and inquired as to whether I would consider allowing him to go to the back to sort his teeth out. He said you know sarge may only several days prior to I should return home. Bobby was an incredible person, he generally took care of his business, and he had an extraordinary disposition. I let Bobby know that I would like for him to leave the following day. I composed a little note the first Sgt requesting that he send Bobby to have his teeth fixed. I recommended that Bobby ought to remain in the back since he just had a long time left in country. Bobby left on chopper after we as a whole let him know farewell and hoped everything would work out for him.


Close to the furthest limit of March, a youthful Lt named Mike Russell appeared on the firebase. He had a while in country with the fourth ID. The fourth returned home, however Mike needed more time in-country to go with them. The unfortunate person wound up with us. Toward the finish of March, Mike had been there long enough for us to turn out to be very old buddies. He was a settled up person. Two or three days before the finish of March, Firebase Jay got hit truly hard. They were found a couple of snaps from us. The sky appeared as though it was ablaze. I didn’t have a clue about any folks on Jay, however I consistently supplicated during their assault that they would have the option to shield against the connect and that we wouldn’t get a similar portion of medication.

Leave a Comment